B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, APRIL/MAY 2010
Electrical and Electronics Engineering
EE2252 — POWER PLANT ENGINEERING
Time: Three hours: 100 Marks
Answer ALL Questions
PART A — (10 × 2 = 20 Marks)
1. Mention the various modern ash handling systems.
2. What are the factors affecting cooling of water in cooling tower?
3. Enumerate advantages and disadvantages of hydropower plants.
4. What is a surge tank?
5. What are the requirements of fission process?
6. What are the essential components of a nuclear reactor?
7. State the merits and demerits of closed cycle gas turbine over open cycle gas turbine power plant.
8. State the applications of diesel power plant.
9. What is a fuel cell?
10. What are the advantages and limitations of tidal power plant?
PART B — (5 × 16 = 80 Marks)
11. (a) Give the layout of a modern steam power plant and explain it briefly.[Marks 16]
(b) How are cooling towers classified? Explain any one of them with a neat sketch.[Marks 16]
12. (a) Explain with a neat sketch a pumped storage power plant.[Marks 16]
(b) What is the function of a hydraulic turbine? How are the turbines classified? Explain any one with a suitable sketch.[Marks 16]
13. (a) With the help of a sketch show all the important part of nuclear reactor. Describe briefly the functions of each part.[Marks 16]
(b) Explain the following terms: (i) Fission of nuclear fuel (ii) Distribution of fission energy (iii) The chain reaction. [Marks 16]
14. (a) Discuss briefly the methods employed for improvement of thermal efficiency of open gas turbine power plant.[Marks 16]
(b) List the essential components of a diesel power plant and explain them briefly.[Marks 16]
15. (a) Explain with a neat diagram of wind electric generating power plant.[Marks 16]
(b) Describe open cycle MHD system with suitable sketch.[Marks 16]